The Presbyterian Church in Kibera began in the early 1950s, and for the next twenty years moved from one temporary building to another. On the 18th of February 1971 the first of Kibera’s two Presbyterian Churches, Silanga, was established, and was officially opened on 5th February 1972 by the Rev. G. Gikanga.
The second Presbyterian Church to be established in Kibera started out in 1974 as
an outreach centre for the main Presbyterian Church in Nairobi -
Both congregations of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA) in Kibera currently
serve a total congregation of 600 adults, 80 youths, and also 150 children in their
Sunday schools. These congregations include some of the neediest people living in
the slums of Kibera. More than 80% of Church members are unemployed. Those who are
employed earn between 1500 and 3000 Kenyan shillings a month (£11-
Due to these low-
Although the Church in Kibera has many diverse needs and wants, they are spiritually rich, and if their needs were met it would be possible for them to achieve their vision of growth and development, for their Church and community.